The Tobacco Market in China is part of Netscribes' Food & Beverage Industry Series reports. China is the largest cigarette producer and consumer in the world. The Chinese tobacco market is poised to witness phenomenal growth owing to rise in smokers' population coupled with changing lifestyle and affordability.
The report begins with the global tobacco market overview comprising the global market size and expected growth until 2012. The global cigarette production and consumption country-wise is also included along with the growth in global cigarette consumption. The global cigarette consumption pattern entails the share of male and female smokers in developed as well as developing countries worldwide.
The domestic tobacco market overview provides details on the industry size in terms of tobacco sales and projected growth for the period 2010-15. This section includes the growth of cigarette consumption. The future growth prospect of Chinese tobacco industry is discussed in detail. This is followed by the share of total tobacco consumers and the share of smokers in the urban and rural population, specifying the share of overall smoking population, share of male smoking population and share of female smoking population for both urban and rural population. Also, mentions the share of smokers in the various age groups, specifying the share of overall smoking population, share of male smoking population and share of female smoking population for each age group. The segment for the price assessment of cigarettes sold in China has been provided in the report. Further, the important tobacco leaf producing provinces are mapped.
The report provides detailed information about the exports and imports of tobacco products. It provides country-wise import and export for the year 2010. Import and export data provided are in value terms.
Factors driving the growth of tobacco market in China include growing smokers' population, accelerating urbanization and changing lifestyle, young smokers to drive cigarette sales and gift culture.
Key players operating in the market also face challenges which are impeding their development and growth. Major challenges identified include increasing consumer awareness on health issues, rising medical costs and ban on smoking in public places and media advertising.
The report also highlights the role of government in the country's tobacco sector. It evaluates the steps taken by the government in view of consolidating the tobacco industry. The plan adopted by the government organization in order to enhance international competitiveness is also given. Further, an overview of various research and development initiatives undertaken by the government, particularly those for the 'low-tar' or 'less harmful' cigarettes are also discussed briefly.
Emerging trends in the tobacco market include rising female smokers, growing popularity of 'low-tar' cigarettes, brand promotion through charity, innovative marketing strategies and strategies to capture the health-concerned consumers.
Investment opportunity section in the report elaborates on the basic two processes in the tobacco value chain, providing detailed information about the available ways of investing in the Chinese tobacco sector.
The competition section outlays the competitive landscape of the tobacco industry in China briefing about the domestic and foreign players existing in the market. This section provides a three dimensional analysis of key players' revenues, profits and market capitalization. The report also features brief profiles of major domestic and foreign players in the market and a snapshot of their corporation, financial performance, business highlights and their product portfolio, providing an insight into the existing competitive scenario.
Some of the key industry relevant statistics covered in the report includes global market size, global cigarette production and consumption country-wise, domestic market size, domestic cigarette consumption figures, country wise comparison of cigarette prices, export-import figures, rise in total population and urbanization rate, consumer base, per capita urban disposable income, grade 1 cigarette sales, share of young population, average tobacco related deaths, share of deaths due to lung-cancer, tax and profits shared by CNTC, decline in no. of cigarette brands and companies, annual 'low-tar' cigarette sales volume and income etc.
Key takeaways section summarizes the entire market in terms of opportunities, trends and challenges persisting in the tobacco market in China.
- Table of Contents
Page 1: Executive Summary
Page 2-3: Global Tobacco Market - Market Overview, Market Size and Growth, Top Tobacco Producing Nations, Global Cigarette Consumption, Global Tobacco Consumption Country-wise (2010))
Page 4: Domestic Tobacco Market - Market Overview, Market Size and Growth, Growth of Cigarette Consumption
Page 5: Chinese Smokers - Region wise and Gender wise (2010)
Page 6: Chinese Smokers - Age wise and Gender wise (2010)
Page 7: Chinese Smokers - Age wise, Gender wise and Region wise (2010)
Page 8: Cigarette Price Assessment
Page 9: Tobacco Leaf Hubs in China
Export and Import
Page 10: Import and Export Data (Value-wise) - Growth in Total Imports (2006 - 2010), Growth in Total Exports (2006 - 2010), Country-wise import and export (2010)
Drivers & Challenges
Page 11: Summary
Page 12: Growing Smokers' Population
Page 13: Accelerating Urbanization and Changing Lifestyle
Page 14: Young Smokers to Drive Cigarette Sales
Page 15: Gift Culture
Page 16: Increasing Consumer Awareness on Health Issues
Page 17: Rising Medical Costs and Nicotine Replacement Therapy
Page 18: Ban on Smoking in Public Places and Media Advertising
Page 19: Role of the Government of China
Page 20: Chinese Tobacco Industry - High Source of Revenue
Page 21: Industry Consolidation and Health Issues
Page 22: 532 and 461 Plans
Page 23: Research and Development
Page 24: Summary
Page 25: Rising Female Smokers
Page 26: Growing Popularity of 'Low-Tar' Cigarettes
Page 27: Brand Promotion through Charity
Page 28: Innovative Marketing Strategies
Page 29: Strategies to Capture Health-Concerned Consumers
Page 30: Investment Opportunity
Page 31-44: Key Domestic Players - Company Information, Products and Services, Locations in China, Key People and Key Recent Developments
The China National Tobacco Corporation
Hongta Tobacco Group Co., Ltd.
Hongyunhonghe Tobacco (Group) Co., Ltd.
China Tobacco Hunan Industrial Corporation
China Tobacco Hubei Industrial Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Tobacco (Group) Corporation
Page 45: Public Companies - Summary
Page 46-54: Key Foreign Players - Company Information, Products and Services, Locations in China, Key People, Financial Snapshot, Financial Summary, Key Ratios, Key Business Segments, Key Geographic Segments and Key Recent Developments
Philip Morris International Inc.
British American Tobacco plc
Japan Tobacco Inc.
Page 55: Key Takeaways
- List of Figures
List of Figures
Global Market Overview
1. Market Size and Growth (2007 and 2012e)
2. Top Tobacco Producing Nations (2010)
3. Global Cigarette Consumption (2000,2010 and 2020e)
4. Global Tobacco Consumption Country-wise (2010)
Domestic Market Overview
5. Market Size and Growth (2010,2011e,2012e,2013e,2014 and 2015e)
6. Growth of Cigarette Consumption (2010,2011e,2012e,2013e,2014 and 2015e)
7. Chinese Smokers - Region wise and Gender wise (2010)
8. Chinese Smokers - Age wise and Gender wise (2010)
9. Price of 20 Piece Pack of Marlboro (2010) - Country wise Comparison
10. Tobacco Leaf Hubs in China
11. Growth in Total Exports (2006 - 2010)
12. Country-wise Exports (2010)
13. Growth in Total Imports (2006 - 2010)
14. Country-wise Imports (2010)
Drivers and Challenges
15. Rise in Total Population (2005, 2010, 2015e and 2020e)
16. Consumer Base in 2010 - Male Smokers and Female Smokers
17. Comparison of Female Smokers (2010)
18. Increasing Rate of Urbanization (2005, 2010, 2015e and 2020e)
19. Per Capita Urban Disposable Income (Jan-Jun 2010 - Jan-Jun 2011)
20. Sales of Grade 1 Cigarette (2007, 2010 and 2015e)
21. Share of Young Population in Total Population (2010)
22. Avg. Deaths Resulting from Tobacco Related Diseases (2005 and 2030e)
23. Share of Deaths Due to Cancer (2010)
24. Rise in Tax Paid by CNTC (2009,2010 and 2011)
25. Rise in Profits Shared by CNTC (2009,2010 and 2011)
26. Decline in No. of Cigarette Brands (2001 and 2010)
27. Decline in No. of Tobacco Companies (2001 and 2010)
28. Annual Sales Volume of 'Low-Tar' Cigarettes (2007,2010 and 2011e)
29. Bubble Chart for the Public Companies
30. Key Foreign Players - Growth in Revenue and Profit (2007,2008,2009 and 2010), Key Ratios, Key Business Segments (2010), Key Geographic Segments (2009 and 2010)
Philip Morris International Inc.
British American Tobacco plc
Japan Tobacco Inc.
- List of Tables
- Companies Covered
1. The China National Tobacco Corporation
2. Hongta Tobacco Group Co., Ltd.
3. Hongyunhonghe Tobacco (Group) Co., Ltd.
4. China Tobacco Hunan Industrial Corporation
5. China Tobacco Hubei Industrial Co., Ltd.
6. China Tobacco Henan Industrial Co., Ltd.
7. Shanghai Tobacco (Group) Corporation
8. Philip Morris International Inc.
9. British American Tobacco plc
10. Japan Tobacco Inc.