The report highlights the analysis of the drivers and explains the factors for growth of the industry. Growing Population and Rise in Income, High Demand from Food and Beverage Industry, Growing Pharmaceutical Market, are the key drivers of this market. There is a huge untapped market which gives the industry more opportunities to expand. There is also a huge opportunity from by-products, and the sugar industry is considered as the chief source of raw material for ethanol production in India. To meet the rising demand of ethanol, sugar plants receive government aid which is facilitating ethanol production, in turn benefiting the overall sugar industry.
There are various challenges too that the sugar industry faces, oversupply situation and rise in sugarcane prices, impact of cyclicality and pricing are the major challenges faced by the sugar industry. Rise in sugarcane prices will bring down the profitability of sugar mills. Due to the sugar pricing challenge, it is difficult for the sugar mills to recover their production costs which lead to frequent losses
Government is likely to decontrol sugar sector to facilitate growth in the domestic sugar industry, also the sugar industry has been lobbying hard for decontrolling the sugar sector. The chief organizations, such as ISMA and NFCSF are looking for partial decontrol of the sector, allowing selling the entire stock of sugar in the open market.
Companies can tie up with the confectionary manufacturing and pharmaceutical giants, holding agreements which will allow them to sell sugar directly to these bulk buyers, resolving the problem of identification of the bulk buyers. Arranging workshops for providing formal training and organizing development programmes for sugarcane farmers and associated working class will increase the productivity.
- Table of Contents
Slide 1: Executive Summary
Slide 2: GDP at Factor Cost: Quarterly (2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14), Inflation Rate: Monthly (Jul 2013 - Dec 2013)
Slide 3: Gross Fiscal Deficit: Monthly (Feb 2013 - Jul 2013), Exchange Rate: Half Yearly (Oct 2013 - Mar 2014)
Slide 4: Lending Rate: Annual (2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12), Trade Balance: Annual (2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14), FDI: Annual (2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13)
Slide 5: Sugar Industry Snapshot
Slide 6-10: Sugar Industry - Overview, Growth of Sugar Production(2013-2018), Growth of Sugar Consumption(2013-2018), Growth of Sugar Factories, Sugarcane - Overview, Growth of Sugarcane Production(2013-2018), Growth of Sugarcane Acreage(2013-2016), Sugar - Value Chain
Slide 11-17: Maharashtra - Overview, Uttar Pradesh - Overview, Karnataka - Overview, Tamil Nadu - Overview, Andhra Pradesh - Overview, Gujarat - Production Volume, Haryana- Production Volume, Punjab - Production Volume, Bihar - Production Volume
Slide 18: Export-Import
Drivers & Challenges
Slide 19: Drivers and Challenges - Summary
Slide 20-25: Drivers
Slide 26-28: Challenges
Slide 29: Decontrol of Sugar sector
Slide 30: Porter's Five Forces Analysis
Slide 31: Public Trading Comparables, Top 3 Companies
Slide 32-34: Competitive Benchmarking, Key Ratios of Top 3 Companies - Operational Basis (FY 2013)
Slide 35: Competitive Benchmarking, Key Ratios of Top 3 Companies - Financial Basis (FY 2013)
Slide 35-75: Major Public Players
Slide 76: Strategic Recommendations
Slide 77: Key Ratios Description
Slide 78: Sources of Information
- List of Figures
Macro Economic Indicators
1. GDP at Factor Cost: Quarterly (2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14)
2. Inflation Rate: Monthly (Jul-Aug 2013 - Nov-Dec 2013)
3. Gross Fiscal Deficit: Monthly (Feb 2013 - Jul 2013)
4. Exchange Rate: Monthly (Oct 2013 - March 2014)
5. Lending Rate: Annual (2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12)
6. Trade Balance: Annual ( 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14)
7. FDI Annual (2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13)
1. Growth of Sugar Production (2013-2018e)
2. Growth of Sugar Consumption (2013-2018e)
3. Growth of Sugar Factories (2008-09 and 2013-14)
4. Growth of Sugarcane Production (2013-2018e)
5. Growth of Sugarcane Acreage (2013-2016e)
1. Sugarcane - Area and Production - Maharashtra (2008-2013)
2. Sugarcane - Area and Production - Uttar Pradesh (2008-2013)
3. Sugarcane - Area and Production - Karnataka (2008-2013)
4. Sugarcane - Area and Production - Tamil Nadu (2008-2013)
5. Sugarcane - Area and Production - Andhra Pradesh (2008-2013)
6. Sugarcane - Area and Production - Gujarat (2008-2013)
7. Sugarcane - Area and Production - Haryana (2008-2013)
8. Sugarcane - Area and Production - Punjab (2008-2013)
9. Sugarcane - Area and Production - Bihar (2008-2013)
1. Sugar Industry - Exports (Value-wise 2011-2014)
2. Sugar Industry - Imports (Value-wise 2011-2014)
Drivers & Challenges
1. Growing Population
2. Rise in Per Capita Income
3. Confectionary Market
4. Chocolate Market
5. Ice-cream Market
6. Potential Alcohol Demand (2017)
7. Pharmaceutical Market Turnover
8. Annual Per Capita Sugar Consumption
1. Competitive Benchmarking - Key Ratios of 3 Major Companies - Operational & Financial Basis (2013-2014)
2. Company profiles (All Companies)
a. Financial Snapshot (All Companies)
b. Key Business segments (Public Companies)
c. Key Geographic segments (Public Companies)
- List of Tables
1. Sugar Industry Scenario - 2013-14
1. Major Players - Maharashtra
2. Production Volume - Maharashtra
3. Major Players - Uttar Pradesh
4. Production Volume - Uttar Pradesh
5. Major Players - Karnataka
6. Production Volume - Karnataka
7. Production Volume - Tamil Nadu
8. Major Players - Andhra Pradesh
9. Production Volume - Andhra Pradesh
10. Production Volume - Gujarat
11. Production Volume - Haryana
12. Production Volume - Punjab
13. Production Volume - Bihar
Drivers & Challenges
1. Sugar content in Popular Chocolates
2. Sugar content in Ice-cream
1. Public Trading Comparables
2. Company Profiles (All Companies)
a. Company Information (All Companies)
b. Products and Services (All Companies)
c. Key People (All Companies)
d. Key Financial Performance Indicators (All Companies)
e. Key Ratios (All Companies)
f. Business Highlights (All Companies)
1. Key Ratios Description
2. Sources of Information
- Companies Covered
1. Exide Industries Ltd.
2. Bharat Forge Ltd.
3. Motherson Sumi Systems Ltd.
4. Amtek Auto Ltd.
5. Sundram Fasteners Ltd.
6. Wheels India Ltd.
7. Mahindra Forgings Ltd.
8. Lumax Industries Ltd.
9. Minda Industries Ltd.
10. Rane Holdings Ltd.
11. Bosch Ltd.