Netscribes' latest market research report titled Retail Market in India 2014 notes how services sector has become the biggest segment of the Indian GDP. It analyzes in depth the retail market, a sub-set of the services industry. Since the opening of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in retail trade, the market has expanded into diverse segments such as food products, consumables, durables, retail services and arts and entertainment. The report explores the various market entry strategies available for retailers and the supply chain model of the retail market. It also defines and categorizes the different formats of operation of organized retail in India.
Since the economic liberalization in 1991, Indian retail market has been seeing increasing participation of multinational retailers, both online and offline. On the other hand, domestic retailers have expanded their presence throughout the country. Private labels have also flourished, with each retailer offering a host of in-house brands that cater to all segments of retail products. The radical growth in Indian retail market has been fuelled by the steady rise in organized retail, increase in disposable income, boom in real estate sector, growing consumption in rural segment, increasing penetration of mass media, rise in awareness about beauty, health and hygiene, changing lifestyle of consumers and increasing availability of credit. However, retailers are also facing increasingly complex challenges such as tough competition from unorganized segment, inefficiencies in supply chain, depreciation of Rupee, rise in energy costs and presence of harmful chemicals in several retail products that deter consumer consumption.
- Table of Contents
Slide 1: Executive Summary
Slide 2: GDP at Factor Cost: Quarterly (2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14), Inflation Rate: Monthly (Jul 2013 - Dec 2013)
Slide 3: Gross Fiscal Deficit: Monthly (Feb 2013 - Jul 2013), Exchange Rate: Half Yearly (Aug 2013 - Jan 2014)
Slide 4: Lending Rate: Annual (2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12), Trade Balance: Annual (2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13), FDI: Annual (2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13)
Slide 5: Services Sector - Overview, GDP of India - Sectoral Contribution (2013)
Slide 6: Retail Market - Overview, Market Size and Growth (Value-Wise; 2013-2018e), Market Segmentation (2013), Market Structure (2013)
Slide 7: Retail Market - Major Segments
Market Entry Strategies
Slide 8-9: Retail Market - Entry Strategies
Slide 10: Retail Market - Supply Chain
Slide 11-13: Retail Market - Organized Formats
Drivers & Challenges
Slide 14: Drivers & Challenges - Summary
Slide 15-24: Drivers
Slide 25-30: Challenges
Slide 31-34: FDI in Retail
Slide 35: Goods and Services Tax (GST)
Slide 36: Trends - Summary
Slide 37-40: Key Trends
Slide 41: Porter's Five Forces Analysis
Slide 42: Competition - Summary
Slide 43-47: Competitive Benchmarking (FY 2014)
Slide 48-73: Major Public Players
Slide 74-101: Major Private Players
Slide 102: Strategic Recommendations
Slide 103: Key Ratios Description
Slide 104: Sources of Information
- List of Figures
Macro Economic Indicators
1. GDP at Factor Cost: Quarterly (2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14)
2. Inflation Rate: Monthly (Jul-Aug 2013 - Nov-Dec 2013)
3. Gross Fiscal Deficit: Monthly (Feb 2013 - Jul 2013)
4. Exchange Rate: Monthly (Aug 2013 - Jan 2014)
5. Lending Rate: Annual (2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12)
6. Trade Balance: Annual (2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13)
7. FDI Annual (2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13)
1. GDP of India - Sectoral Contribution (2013)
1. Retail Market - Market Size and Growth (Value-Wise: 2013 - 2018e)
2. Retail Market - Segmentation (2013)
3. Retail Market - Structure (2013)
Drivers & Challenges
1. Growth in Total Retail Sales (Value-Wise: 2013, 2017e, 2023e)
2. Total No. of Household (2005, 2015e, 2025e)
3. Per Household Annual Income
4. Aggregate Annual Disposable Income (2005, 2015e, 2025e)
5. Real Estate Market Size (Value-Wise: 2013 - 2018e)
6. Production of Food Grains (Volume-Wise: 2009-2013)
7. Production of Oilseeds (Volume-Wise: 2009-2013)
8. Growth of Print Media Industry (Value-Wise: 2013 - 2018e)
9. Growth of TV and Radio Industry (Value-Wise: 2013 - 2018e)
10. Share of Household Consumption (2005, 2015e, 2025e)
11. Number of Credit Cards (2013)
12. Growth in Card Transactions (Value-Wise: 2013-2018e)
13. Crude Oil Prices (Jul 2013 - Jul 2014)
14. Rupee Depreciation (Aug 2012 - Aug 2014)
1. Online Retail Market (Value-Wise: 2013-2018e)
1. Competitive Benchmarking - Key Ratios of 3 Major Public Companies - Operational & Financial Basis (FY2014)
2. Company Profiles (All Companies)
a. Ownership Structure (Private Companies)
b. Financial Snapshot
c. Key Business segments (Public Companies)
d. Key Geographic segments (Public Companies)
- List of Tables
Drivers & Challenges
1. Chemical Content in Retail Products
1. Current FDI Policy in Retail Market
1. Competition - Summary
2. Public Trading Comparables
3. Company profiles
a. Company Information (All Companies)
b. Products and Services (All Companies)
c. Key People (All Companies)
d. Shareholders of the Company (Private Companies)
e. Key Financial Performance Indicators (Public Companies)
f. Key Ratios (All Companies)
g. Business Highlights (All Companies)
2. Sources of Information
- Companies Covered
1. Brandhouse Retails Ltd.
2. Future Retail Ltd.
3. Pantaloons Fashion & Retail Ltd.
4. Shoppers Stop Ltd.
5. Titan Company Ltd.
6. Trent Ltd.
1. Amalgamated Bean Coffee Trading Company Ltd.
2. Reliance Retail Ltd.
3. Spencer's Retail Ltd.
4. Landmark Group
5. METRO Cash and Carry India Pvt. Ltd.