The e-commerce market in India is expected to be worth INR 5,992.1 billion by 2020, according to latest Netscribes research. Currently, the Indian e-commerce market is dominated by the online travel segment followed by online retail, online financial services and online classifieds market. The online retail segment is the fastest growing category in the Indian e-Commerce market.
Loyalty schemes, promotional offers and deep discounts are some of the most prominent trends in the market. Additionally, changing business models and turning into mainstream online retailers, and consolidation and self-owned brands are some other major trends. The market is also witnessing opening of exclusive online brands opting for a ‘market place’ approach.
E-commerce Market in India - Key Growth Factors
Rapid growth of smartphones and internet connectivity across the country, especially in tier-2 and tier- 3 cities, has given greater access to virtual shopping and e-tailing websites to the tech-savvy generation.
The increasing purchasing power of the Indian population and rise in third-party logistics services or 3PL are emerging as the key growth drivers for e-commerce in the country.
Most importantly, consumers enjoy the ease and comfort associated with e-commerce, which is shaping the growth curve for the entire e-commerce market in India.
E-commerce Market in India - Threats and Key Players
GST or the Goods and Services Tax law will act as a major challenge for Indian e-commerce market. In addition, a majority of players operating in the market are facing dire lack of funds. Raising funds to support daily business operations and online advertising expenses has therefore become a major challenge. Furthermore, the e-commerce market incurs steep losses due to spam orders and orders paid in cash.
Notable e-commerce companies in India include Flipkart, Snapdeal and Amazon India.
What’s covered in the report?
- Overview of the e-commerce market in India and forecasted market size data over 2015 to 2020e
- Detailed research of the Indian e-commerce market segments (online travel market, online retail market, online financial services market, online classifieds market and other online services market) – market snapshot, size and growth forecast over 2015 to 2020e
- Overview of the Indian e-commerce ecosystem and their associated technologies
- Qualitative analysis of the major drivers and challenges affecting the market
- Detailed research of the various e-commerce business models in India
- Major mergers and acquisitions in the Indian e-commerce industry (2015-2016)
- Market dynamics through major trends and opportunities
- Analysis of the competitive landscape and detailed profiles of major players
- Key recent developments associated with the e-commerce market in India
- Get a broad understanding of the e-commerce market in India, the dynamics of the market and current state of the same
- Understand the current market segmentation and future growth potential of the market in India up to 2020
- Strategize marketing, market-entry, market investment and expansion, and other business plans by understanding factors influencing the market
- Make more informed business decisions through insightful recommendations
With the given market data, Research On India offers customizations according to specific needs. Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org